Pages

Friday, 30 May 2014

Five Minutes to Myself

As I actually have a bit of time on my hands when I'm not just so exhausted all I want to do is sleep, I thought I'd check in and let you all know how things are going here. I know, I've been lousy at updating lately. Life just seems to get in the way.

I had a bit of a scare a few weeks back when I had to call an ambulance for my husband. He's Ok, but it was pretty horrible at the time. He hates hospitals, and I mean really hates them, bordering on phobic, so I wasn't very popular when I reached for my phone but as he had severe chest pains and could hardly breathe 999 was the only sensible course of action. We live quite a way from the nearest A&E so he always feels so guilty calling out an ambulance, but they were amazing and were here so quickly! Luckily it wasn't his heart this time but it still gave us a real scare, and although we still don't know exactly what happened that night he hasn't really been right ever since. Even the slightest thing leaves him shockingly out of breath so I'm running around even more than usual trying to get him to do as he's been told and rest. What is it about men that makes them want to do the impossible as soon as they've been told they can't?

We've known for a long time that we need to move. The 'bedroom tax' on our two bed flat is crippling us and although I've got the arrears pretty much under control, it's going to take a while to clear them completely. There just isn't anything else available though, very few smaller properties come up and there is a lot of competition for them, now though hubby is having increasing problems with the stairs (ours is a first floor flat) and if we don't move soon I can see a time when he's house bound. With luck the extra problems will put us higher up the list - every cloud has a silver lining.

What else is there? Oh yes :) I'm going to be a grandma again! That's something to look forward to isn't it? After all the devastation of last year a little rainbow baby is on his or her way to make us smile again after the storms.

Well, I better start thinking about making something for tea. I had planned a chicken salad but I forgot to take a chicken breast out of the freezer to defrost. I'm sure I have candy floss for brains at the moment. Hmmm, doesn't leave me with very many options.
Baked Spuds! Oh that's a relief. I'd forgotten I'd bought some potatoes on Wednesday. With a bit of grated cheese and the salad I was going to do anyway....sorted. Nice and effortless, which is just the way I like things at the moment. I really need a boost of energy from somewhere before I grind to a halt.

4 comments:

  1. I've never posted before, but I've followed your blog for a while now. I'm so glad to hear that you are doing "O.K" I worry when you don't post for a while. Silly I know, but your situation echoes mine a few years back and although I can't help in any way, I'm sorta standing in the corner yelling "It'll be ok in the end, honest!" I hope your husband improves over time, and congratulations on the new addition due in the family. Take care of you........you deserve it, and need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that you & hubby had such a scare. You did the right thing by calling 999. Better safe than sorry. i hope that you manage to get a move sooner rather than later.
    Good to see you posting again

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chin up lass, we're thinking of you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you ask to see the Housing Option team at your Local Authority? It is basically a team that help when people are facing homelessness or who can no longer manage in their accomodation. I know you said you are on the waiting list but this can takes months (as you know) whereas a chat with these guys may open up more possibilities.
    They will also know about any pots of money such as Discretionary Housing Payment which people can apply for to help towards bedroom tax especially if you are willing to downsize.

    ReplyDelete