Pages

Saturday, 22 February 2014

My Yo-Yo Week

It's been a strange week really, full of ups and downs that have produced swinging emotions and the feeling of never quite being in control.

It started with a snotty letter from the council informing us they'll begin the process of eviction if we don't bring the rent up to date. That produced panic, tears, worry, anger, helplessness and eventually resignation. I'll get it sorted. I've been in touch and let them know we're having problems, and they know we always catch up whenever we've fallen behind before so I'm hoping they will see sense and realise that its only a temporary glitch. After all, the arrears actually amount to less than two weeks rent. We aren't talking about a fortune here, but to us trying to find £130 from nowhere, well, it doesn't happen overnight.

On the upside, we now have double glazing. Yay! We were told when we moved to this flat that we would be getting double glazing 'soon'. It's taken 3 1/2 years but it's finally in place. Very soon we should have loft and cavity wall insulation too. I'm hoping this will all mean greatly reduced heating bills...which in turn will make paying the rent easier.

My kettle blew up. Again. I don't have much luck with kettles. I was resorting to boiling water in a saucepan, but I found our old camping kettle at the back of the cupboard so that will have to do until we manage to get another electric one.

It was my grandson's inquest on Thursday.
I was really upset that I couldn't afford to travel up for it, as I knew it would be a difficult day for them, but my mum went with them instead and actually, it was better than expected. They'd already had a meeting with the coroner so he was able to keep it brief, which was a relief with the press being present but still an upsetting day.

My grandson now has a headstone and his parents ordered the first breathing monitor to be loaned out in my grandson's memory for a rainbow baby (that's a baby born after the loss of a sibling). We started fundraising for his headstone as they are so dreadfully expensive, but thanks to all the wonderful support we've had the final payment was paid this week and his beautiful Peter Pan headstone was put in place so now we are continuing with the fundraising to help other families.

I scalded my hand filling up a hot water bottle. Note to self* In future pour the water in the bottle, and not over your fingers! Fortunately it wasn't too bad, painful but no lasting damage.

It's been a real roller coaster week.



If you haven't yet signed the petition to ban cot bumpers, please do so.
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/54991

We have a long way to go to reach the 100,000 signatures we need.

A safe cot is a bare cot. No bumpers, loose blankets, pillows, duvets or teddies.
Know the risks, reduce the risks.
A safe place to sleep is every baby's right.

4 comments:

  1. Hope you get the rent problem sorted out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A hard week for sure. Were you able to get your rent covered? I hope so. The headstone sounds lovely. Many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New to your blog. I followed a link on another blog list.

    I'm sorry that it has been a rough week. I hope that they are able to give you a break about the rent. So very sorry about the loss of your grandson. That would be heartbreaking to lose a child.

    I live in the U.S. but I am enjoying reading about your life in England. I love how you are able to stretch 3 chicken breasts for several meals. The pictures that you post are beautiful. I don't understand the meter system for electricity and gas. Do you prepay a certain amount each month, and if you use more, the utilities are cut off?

    Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending you kind wishes and hope you will let us know if you are OK

    ReplyDelete